Although breast cancer is very female-dominant, it is important to recognize that men can also develop this type of cancer. Like all cancer, early detection is essential so we felt it was important to list these early warning signs so that our male patients are also well-informed.
Symptoms to look for:
- firm lump felt in the breast tissue or under the nipple
- firm lump in the armpit area
- nipple pain
- nipple turning inward
- nipple discharge (clear or bloody)
- sores or a rash on the nipple or areola
- changes to the skin around the breast (ie. redness, dimpling, or puckering)
Please remember that these changes can also be signs of less serious conditions that are not cancerous. But if you do notice anything out of the ordinary, it is very important to have them checked out by your physician.